Accepting your Physical Self

Corey Reeves, Staff Writer

Physical self-love is learning to love your physical appearance even if you do not fit into societal standards. Self-love is a state of appreciation for oneself that grows from actions that support our physical, psychological and spiritual growth.

Physical self-love is loving your body and loving who you are inside. Loving your body can be difficult for many, but if you take a look at it, loving yourself isn’t hard. Simply just telling yourself that you love the way you look is a form of love and is seen as something of value and respect.

Self-esteem researcher Kristin Neff  at the University of Texas says “self-compassion —treating yourself with kindness, openness, and acceptance—is a healthy alternative to the incessant striving and performance orientation often tied up with self-esteem.” A study Neff conducted found that students who practiced self-compassion experienced greater well-being.

The Barbara Lee Health Center is a great resource in terms of getting help with these issues. One thing that Atziri Rodriguez, Program Manager at the Barbara Lee Health Center, recommends: do something that makes you happy. Even if it only makes you feel happy for five minutes, just do something that will make you feel good about yourself.

There are many resources here at San Leandro High for people who struggle with self-love, such as the counseling office. There are therapists that are able to help anyone and everyone. All you need to do is let your counselor know and they will be able to give you the paperwork needed.

The Barbara Lee Health Center also has programs designed to help students that struggle with self-love and there, you can be around people who share similar issues. Together, we can all learn to support each other and be accepting of ourselves.