Carrying the Truth of San Leandro Youth

The Cargo

Carrying the Truth of San Leandro Youth

The Cargo

Carrying the Truth of San Leandro Youth

The Cargo

Final Testing

Many students may be feeling the pressure of upcoming tests.
Final+Testing

As the end of the year approaches, many students prepare for final exams,projects, and AP tests. What is the best way to prepare for these exams? Is it common for students to be stressed? What are AP exams? Why are people taking AP exams? These are a few of the many questions that come up in regards to the testing that takes place near the end of the school year. But what are the best ways to be prepared for all the exams that are coming up? 

The most important thing is to avoid stress, which is easier said than done, right? A common mistake many students make before important standardized tests is to cram as much information as they can the night before. However, this is a poor method of preparation. Yes, you can briefly review everything, but it’s not good for the mental health of students. The reality of a lot of final assessments is that they cover the entire curriculum’s worth of information, and studying all of that information the night before a big exam can do nothing but make you feel overwhelmed and hopeless. A mindset going into a big test makes or breaks your performance, and feeling overwhelmed going into a test will not help. Take some time for yourself, relax, and get good sleep the day before the exam. Don’t stay up, and try not to cram all the information you can into your head. 

A big type of exam coming up that many students have probably heard about are the AP exams. These AP tests are held in the gym at the FTK campus, and will be proctored like a standardized test. AP testing is graded on a scale of 1 to 5, and scoring a 3 or higher gives students a chance to earn college credit. These AP tests are also structured to simulate a standardized test that students will be expected to take in college, and they cover the entire curriculum that has been taught throughout the year in the AP class. They are difficult, and stress is bound to be felt by many students before entering the examination hall. However, just like any other standardized test or final exam, remember that it is important for you to have a good mindset before you enter the testing hall. Don’t overwhelm yourself with every detail about the curriculum the night before, and remember to care for yourself. 

Well, how can one review and be prepared for the exam without cramming the night before? The key approach to preparing for an exam should be to space out your review with different topics day by day. Take advantage of many different study tools such as Quizlet and flashcards. Additionally, more useful methods to retain information can be taking practice quizzes and reviewing practice problems. Stimulating your brain with various practice questions can help you better understand topics that you don’t fully know, and boost your overall self-confidence that you can do well. 

The night before the exam, test takers should sleep early, eat a good meal, and relax, so that they can be well prepared and nourished for the difficult test. Good luck to all the pirates taking their exams this upcoming month, and let’s all finish the school year as strong as we can.